The basic concept of playing roulette is quite simple. The dealer spins the roulette wheel one way and a metal ball the opposite way. When the ball is in motion, you place a bet on a specific number or group of numbers until the dealer announces no more bets. It seems simple enough but when you begin to add in all the different ways to make bets, it can get confusing fast.
Before you decide to actually bet money on a roulette table, it would be wise to learn all you can about the different types of bets that you can make. You’ll also want to learn what the odds of winning for each of the bets are and what the payout for the different bets will be if you do win.
Here are a few more betting tips for roulette beginners:
- Players have their own color chips that will be given to them at the table when they decide to play. Chips are only good at the table where you acquire them and they must be turned in before you leave the table.
- You can stack your chips on top of someone else’s if you want to bet the same number that they bet. The different colored chips make it easy to distinguish who is betting on which numbers.
- Inside bets pay more than outside bets but the odds of winning are lower. If you want to play it safe, bet on the outside of the table where some bets have a 50/50 chance of winning. These include the Red or Black, Even or Odd and the Low and High bets.
- When someone wins, the dealer will mark the winning number. You cannot place another bet until the marker has been removed and the dealer spins the ball again.
- You can bet on both inside and outside numbers at the same time. Since the odds of winning an outside bet is higher than inside bets, it gives you a chance to win back some of the money you’ll lose if your inside number loses.
- All roulette tables will have a set minimum and maximum amount of money that you can bet in order to play at that table. This will be different depending on which table you play. Be sure to ask what the amount is before you begin if you’re not sure what it is.
- The minimum bet must be placed for all bets you make and you cannot combine bets to meet the minimum. If the minimum bet is $10, you can’t bet five on your inside number and five on your outside number. You must bet $10 on all of the numbers you play.
- The straight up bet has the highest payout and it is the simplest bet to make because you are only betting on one number. However, the overall odds of winning are less than any other bets that you make.
- Don’t bet more money than you can afford to lose. This is true for any bets you make but when you’re sitting at the roulette table with all the excitement around you, it’s easy to get carried away.
The three main types of strategies or betting systems used in roulette are The d’Alembert System, The Fibonacci System and The Martingale System. Using these strategies are not going to ensure that you win every time you place a bet. But they can help you stay in the game longer by helping you save money. You won’t lose everything you have to spend in two or three bets when you use these systems.